Thursday, January 01, 2009

PHS Newsletter #1





HI CLASSMATES!!

By Beth Greenwood


I wanted to send a great big Thank You to all of you that attended the Reunion on Oct. 30, and the Brunch on Oct. 31, 2004. You all made this a great reunion weekend. I really enjoyed all the e-mails leading up to the reunion that so many of you sent to me. We may be spread around the states but, it was so gratifying to see all the folks that were able to come. Well, needless to say, we want you to mark a date on your calendars for the 50th reunion in 2009. We look forward to input and suggestions from all classmates, to make the 50th even greater. We also need your cooperation in keeping us informed of any change of addresses that may occur in the next five years. We want all that were here for the 45th to be properly notified of the next reunion. If you move or change your email, that's how we lose you. Please keep us informed. You have Carol Fitzgerald's and my address at the top of this page. If you know of someone that didn't hear about our reunion this year it's because we don't have their address or email. If they would get in touch with us we will make sure that they are entered in our data-base.



























I LOOK AT HER AND I SEE YOU

By Nancy Clark


Forty five years ago we were just kids and oh, how swiftly those years have passed. I wonder who you became, what kind of life's sweet or sour fruit you tasted. I wonder about the lives of other people who have been touched by the very presence of your being. I wonder, and I remember who you were once, such a long time ago.


These days I am mentoring a young high school senior student every day for six weeks as part of her high school career program. The program links students up with someone in a career they are interested in pursuing so they can learn more about their chosen career. Occasionally in the midst of our time spent together, I look at Laura and recall that this beautiful face looking into my eyes is the age I remember my Pennsbury classmates. I take a closer look at her and smile remembering how young we all were, how inexperienced in life we were. I look at her perfect FIGURE and her beautiful brown hair, untouched by chemicals to hide any hint of graying hair.


I marvel at the way she gracefully and swiftly raises from her chair with nary a hint of discomfort in her smooth, taunt muscles. I look at her with so much love in my heart as I try to bestow some inner wisdom that will be of everlasting value as she grows toward being a mature woman gleaning from life all the blessings that the universe will provide for her.


I look at her and I see you as I remember you! We all went our separate ways after our high school years but in just a short while, we will all meet again. This time however, we will be meeting new friends, new in the sense that we are no longer kids. Inwardly we still feel young at heart even though our aging bodies have slowed us down. We all have new physical features that may shock us. We will have new adult lives to share with one another but above all, we will have the blessing of joining our hearts together for one wonderful weekend that will sustain us for the rest of our lives. That is after all, what is more important than remembering who we once were so long ago, just kids!

By Nancy Clark


Going to a forty-five year high school class reunion can be very intimidating. In our minds we still remember our young friends as they were so many years ago. Would we be a disappointment to one another when we met again after all those years when our aging bodies revealed more of us than we wanted?


The answer to that question surfaced quickly when I looked into the hearts of those dear friends. Life had aged them with inner wisdom, a glowing peace, and hearts with loving acceptance of one another no matter how separated by cliques we felt as young men and women during our school years. We were one that weekend, united by a brotherhood of hearts that reached out to one another. I'd like to tell you how several of our classmates touched my heart that weekend.


I almost didn't come to the reunion because my husband's failing health will soon necessitate him being on kidney dialysis. Fate had a way of stepping in and nudging us to go however. During the reunion Saturday evening, I told a classmate about Ched's failing kidneys. When he heard that, the heart of this man glowed with the offer to donate one of his kidneys to help my husband. If they are a match, a miracle may await us. If they are not a match and a kidney transplant is not feasible, what matters most is the heart of our classmate. Motivated by his inner voice to help another person so unselfishly, speaks volumes about the man he has become.


Another classmate's heart was touched after learning that a fire destroyed our home and also destroyed my treasured Pennsbury Yearbook. The offer to make a copy of the Yearbook and send it to me brought tears of gratitude to my own heart.


At the Sunday brunch a classmate presented me with her own personal copy of the Pennsman, our class newspaper. I was so moved that her heart prompted her to give me this cherished gift.


Another classmate shared his heart's expression of the way my writing had touched him in a very deep and meaningful way. His heart touched mine and I felt honored that my written words had such a profound effect upon him.


What I witnessed that special weekend was a spirit of unconditional love radiating from the hearts of every single person. No matter what our station in life, we were one. You should all feel very proud of yourself because you gave something of everlasting value to all of us…your heart!

Classmates E-mail Comments

After Our Reunion Weekend


By Beth Greenwood
What a wonderful group of people, it was a night to remember. Thank you all for coming and I had a terrific time, the evening went by so fast, and I couldn't believe it when the DJ said it was 11:00 PM. Every one looked so great! I want to say thank you to all those that were able to attend, and for the folks that were not, you were missed.


By Pat Scheffer

It was great seeing all the people that we grew up with. It was great seeing the girls that I danced with when I was a boy and the fact that we are now men and women didn't seem to change much. The old moves are still everyone's moves. It's too bad that we didn't recreate the Square Dance that we all learned in gym class. The people in that room remember dances at Oxford Valley, Fairless View & PHS.

The music that played took me back and it was great. I'm not one that longs for the good old days but our reunion was a reminder of exactly that.

When talking with the "guys" we stimulated other memories of games and gym class and other classes that are remembered more for the fun that we had than what we learned. Although it is obvious that we must have learned something as everyone appears to be very successful.

The Sunday brunch provided even more time to reminisce and renew old friendships. I don't know how many people in the class of "59" were together from 1st grade on but Mona Baker and I lived a block apart in Altoona and then moved to Fairless Hills in 1953 a block apart. We had memories from 1947 to 1959 to talk about. That was a bonus to the reunion.


By Carol Fitzgerald

It was a wonderful weekend. Bob and I really enjoyed seeing everyone.

I have breaking news. For all of you that remember those laps around the sports fields that we used to do. Well, Bob and I stopped by OUR High School [Pennsbury in Makefield] on our way out of town. The great news is that you can now drive around there in your car and it doesn't make you sweat or tire you out at all. That is quite a complex around there and there are many roads connecting all of the buildings.

It was great to see all of you and special thanks to those that served on the reunion committee. You sure did a great job.



By Bill Roberts

My wife Joanne and I want to express what a grand night it was. Golf is one of my, if not my favorite, thing to do, but playing with those wonderful classmates on Saturday was the most enjoyable round I have ever played.

The brunch on Sunday was the icing on the cake. The committee who was responsible for the event did an outstanding job, thank you all. Of course Beth gets a special thank you. To all who attended, you look great.


There is one thing that I wish the kids of today could experience. That is growing up in the fifties. What a great time it was to be a teenager at this time. At 63 years old, a little hair which is gray, and all the aching bones, it was all worth it to have grown up in that era with all of you. We hope to see you all again.


By Merle Kirkley

WOW, what a weekend. From the golf to the brunch it was fantastic and I want to say thank you on behalf of myself and my wife Joanne. Even though she graduated later and at a different school she really felt everyone was very warm and made here feel at home.

I hope we all continue to communicate and look forward to the next time we are together. The committee was awesome and Beth was the best.


By Janice Klein Baly

I had a wonderful time at the reunion. There were classmates who I recognized immediately, despite the passage of 45 years. Others required a surreptitious glance at their nametags. It was fun reminiscing about our high school years and, for some of us, as far back as 6th grade.

One vivid memory I have from high school is being part of a group who painted the goal posts at Morrisville High School the night before a football game. Only one classmate I talked to at the reunion seemed to remember the incident. I know we weren't the only ones. Who were the rest of you? (Don't worry; the statute of limitations has expired.) I will be looking forward to our 50th year reunion!


By Barbara Orndorff Liberty

It was great seeing my classmates and it was an awesome reunion. The music and dancing reminded me of the dances at PHS. I hadn't danced like that for years & had a lot of fun. The Sunday Brunch was a great idea. I had as much fun on Sunday as I did Saturday night, renewing old friendships and exchanging phone numbers and email addresses.
I'm looking forward to the Memory Book arriving in the mail so I can reminisce some more. Thanks to the committee for a great job.



Classmates Questionnaires

We sent out a questionnaire to be filled in by the graduates of our class. Below are a few of the questionnaires that were completed and returned to us. The remainder of them will be printed in future editions of the MATURE FALCON NEWSLETTER.

It's not too late for you to join in. Contact: Carol or Beth (address on page #1) and we'll forward the questionnaire to you. You could also send us some information about yourself and what you've been doing for the past 45 years. Thanks, Carol


Brigetta Ann (Strandgard) Walden

52 Tapered Oak Lane, Levittown, PA 19054

I have come back to care for my Mother. I am widowed. I met my husband in Chicago. We had 3 children-Debra 42, Donna 40, and Jim 38. I do have grandchildren. I enjoy watching the wonderful way my children are raising their children and the love of being able to see them and be a part of their lives.

I lived at 52 Tapered Oak Lane in Levittown while attending Pennsbury, from the 5th grade in 1952. My favorite classes were History, English, Typing, Home Economics and my favorite teachers were Mrs. Burg, Mr. Poff, Mr. Nelson, and Miss Rago. I liked basketball, field hockey, and gymnastics.

My special memories are canteens, football games, proms, "first love", bandstand and after school phone calls. My hobbies are reading, dancing, crocheting, and walking. I am self employed, run a day care.


Nicholas Massaro

318 Starflower Lane-Langhorne, PA 19047

My wife's name is Barbara. I met Barbara at the school dances; she was a year behind me at PHS.

We have two children—Denise—40, and Nicky—38. They live nearby. We have five grandchildren—two from my daughter and three from my son. We love to go to their soccer and baseball games – play tennis and golf with them.

I lived at 29 Vicar Lane, Levittown, Pa when I first attended William Penn in 1955. My favorite classes were Gym, Business math, English. Favorite teachers-Mr. Jacobs and Miss Tindell. I like all sports. I rode the bus and a good memory is of when we used to sing on the way to football games. I worked part-time at A&P in Levittown.

I have kept in touch with Bob Palmer, Lower Makefield, Don Lynch and Pat Scheffer both in Langhorne. My hobbies are golf and tennis. I retired after 30 years with PECO. Our favorite place to visit is Hawaii


Carol (Byrne) Moran

49 Towpath Road, Levittown, PA 19056.

My husband's name is Thomas. Tom graduated in 1956 from Pennsbury I met him after I graduated. I met him at the Hi Hat Diner. We had 3 children, Thomas ("T.J." is 41); Kim (40); Erin (29); and 5 grandchildren. Grandsons, Shane Foley (11); Ryan Foley (8); Kyle Foley (6); Dean Prozillo (4) and Kane Prozillo (1). Grandchildren are the icing on the cake! I love everything about them from infancy on. They bring such unbelievable joy and so much love! Each age and stage is wonderful and exciting! It lets me be a kid again! (It's O.K. to be a silly grandmom!)

I lived at 345 Berkshire Road, Fairless Hills, while attending Pennsbury. I entered 9th grade, WM Penn JR High. My favorite classes were Gym, English, Biology, Shorthand, Typing & my favorite teachers were Mr. Poff, Mrs. Clinton, Mr. Matuza & Mr. O'Donnell.

My special memories are Sports Night and the Proms, Canteens, Mrs. White saying "betreen" and Miss Tindal, who named her first gray hair after me. Chris Ellis and I getting pink slips for talking & laughing too much! I had lots of laughs during the hours I spent riding the school bus. Mr. Baker who drove the bus was like everyone's grand-father.

When I wasn't in school I watched Bandstand, did homework and never missed canteen! My hobbies are exercise/walking; travel; event planning (especially loved getting this reunion off the ground, by forming the committee, etc.) The past 5 years I've worked at PharmNet Inc in Princeton, NJ – Administrative Assistant (Pharmaceutical Research Co)

Previous worked temp/pt time/15 years full time at Mercer Medical Center. I have also done Home Party's as a Sales Rep. I've traveled to Ireland, Guam, Canada, and Bermuda, Mexico, Acapulco & Cancun plus several other Islands.

My greatest accomplishments were being a stay at home Mom to my three children &now grandmother to five grandsons. I worked 15 years in Volunteer Services at Mercer and loved working with the volunteers. Ran the Jr. Volunteer program in the summers for boys & girls ages 13 to 17 & I found it very rewarding watching them grow from shy youngsters to mature young men & women. Being told I'd played a part in their futures. They stayed in contact and have visited me even after college graduation.


Warren Patrick "Pat" Scheffer

952 Daylily Drive, Langhorne, PA 19047

My wife's name is Anne and we met at work. We have 4 children. Stacy, 36; Melanie, 32; Vikki, 31; Patrick, 27; and 6 grandchildren. Number seven due in Jan. We love to spend time with the grandchildren without feeling rushed or having to go to work.

When I went to Pennsbury I lived on Yorkshire Road, in the "H" Section of Fairless Hills. I entered 7th grade in 1953 at Oxford Valley School.

My favorite teacher was Joe Gavin. I participated in Baseball, golf and bowling. I still participate in sports but I gave up bowling.

One of the things I remember is the pass around story in Latin our Junior Year! I think our school lunches cost $.25 and the hoagies were the best.

In the evenings and weekend I worked at Fairlanes Bowling and we went to each others house to pretend we were studying. I've kept in touch with Nick Massaro and Don Lynch. I'm retired and now I like to play golf. I'd recommend that everyone visit St. Martin/Cancun.


Beth Evon Greenwood

3023 Chandler Dr. South Morrisville, PA 19067-5121

My address while attending Pennsbury was 437 Berkshire Road, Fairless Hills, PA 19030. In the fall of 1952 I began 6th grade in the houses on Trenton Road, then for 7th grade was at Oxford Valley Elementary School, 8th grade was up at Pennsbury High School, 9th grade was at William Penn Junior High School, 10th, 11th and 12th grades back to Pennsbury High School.

My favorite class was typing with Mrs. White and my favorite teachers were Mr. Al Matuza and Mrs. Rebecca Hoffman. I liked swimming and gymnastics.

I guess Monday was the best day for wearing the gym suit, by Friday's, especially in summer time, they could get a little rank.

I remember that my older sister Diane was always in one school play or another, so I also spent a lot of time at rehearsals.

I always enjoyed our Sports Nights, and somehow through all my years at PHS I was always on the Orange team. I rode Bus #20 to Pennsbury High School. Mr. George Baker was the driver. For 6th, 7th, and 9th grades I walked to school.

I can remember back to the time while Oxford Valley Elementary School was being constructed and playing on the construction grounds. Prior to the pool being built, I swam in Lake Caroline.

I believe our school lunches started out at a quarter and were up around 35 cents when we graduated. I usually would buy tasty cakes (10 cents) and milk (7 cents) and save the rest of my lunch money for spending money. We didn't get an allowance, but if we managed to save money that way we could get items that we wanted. Somehow my parents managed to get things we needed, but not always things we wanted.

In the evenings and on weekends I rode my bike, played monopoly with my neighbor, was involved in Girl Scouts and Rainbow Girls.

I have many nieces and nephews. My sister Diane had three daughters. Laurie (1959) married Ken (1956) in 1979 they have one son Robby (1986)

Bonnie (1962) married Chuck (1961) in 1985 they have three children, Chuckie (1987), Sabrina (1990) and Jolene (1997), Jaycee (1968) she is my special niece, she is handicapped.

My sister Arta had four children: Tracy (1974) married Steve (1974) in 1998 they have one daughter Elizabeth Jane born (2004) Scott (1976) Edi (1977) married Josh (1976) in 2003 they are expecting their first child in April 2005.

My sister Cathy had two children: Rustin (1977) married Victoria (1981) in 2001, Shea (1979)

So, I have lots of children, they are all my children, I just had them the easy way. My sister Diane, John and Jaycee live in Pueblo, Colorado. Laurie & Ken live in Centennial, Colorado, and their son Robby is going to college at the Univ. of Utah. Bonnie and Chuck, and their three children live in Pueblo, Colorado.

My Sister Arta & her husband Ed live in Morrisville, their youngest son Alex is going to Penn State Univ. Tracy, Steve and Elizabeth Jane live in East Lansing, Michigan. Scott lives in Washington, DC. Edi and Josh live in New York City, NY. My sister Cathy and her husband Randy live in Bel Air, MD. Rustin & Victoria live in Baltimore, MD. Shea lives in Glendale, CA.

I hadn't kept in touch with classmates prior to being on the reunion committee, but hopefully after having so many nice emails and telephone conversations I will stay in touch with many of the classmates.

My hobbies are photography, crocheting, and playing on the computer.

I had worked at the same place for 42 years and 9 months, but with downsizing that occurred I was let go March 31st, 2002. I was out on unemployment until October 1st, 2002, and then I went to J & J Temp Service and have been working at Bio-Imaging Technologies, Newtown, Pa since then. I have traveled to Colorado every year. That is a great state. I've been to Yellowstone Park, Grand Canyon, Mesa Verde National Park, Painted Desert, Mount Rushmore, Niagara Falls, Florida, Bahamas, and my biggest trip was in 2001 I went to the Holy Land.


Mario Tama

6415 78th Street Cabin John, Maryland 20818

My wife's name is Elaine and we met in Wash. D.C. in 1968; Elaine is from Forty Fort, Pa. & attended Wyoming Seminary High School in Kingston, Pa.

We have two children, Rio Tama; 33; New York City; Jason Tama; 31; Seattle, WA - (No Grandchildren that I'm aware of.)

While attending Pennsbury I lived at 1702 Westover Road, Morrisville. I started at Makefield Elem. in 1946.

My favorite classes were; in kindergarten was playing with "blocks"; as a Junior/Senior; Trigonometry and English; Home Ec. And my favorite teachers were Mrs. Bourg and Mr. Krespach. These people were enthusiastic, dedicated, great teachers.

I like Ice hockey, skiing and football.

I thought the gym suits were not bad but, do you recall the "Kilt" craze that lasted for a few weeks in the 8th grade; that really was cute.

The "Sports Nights" once a year, complete with an always beautiful Sports Night Queen, were very tense and exciting extravaganzas that whipped us up into respective fervor for either "Orange" or "Black" eliciting incredible cheering on both sides of the Gym, despite the totally goofy nature of the competitive events.

* This stuff just started to come back to me, after many years of not thinking about some of my "roots".

In 7th grade I attended school at the old wooden Woodside School in Edgewood. The 50's were an era of gradual change from small town and rural to suburban living. I recall Sammy Stewart riding his horse to school and tying it up outside, the horse would poke its nose thru the window into Mrs. Utz's class to her consternation and the students' distraction. Sam also occasionally drove his family's big old green John Deere farm tractor to classes. I believe the horse was subsequently banned but, the tractor was tolerated. Frank Leise can verify this.

In 8th grade, Andy McCutcheon and I bicycled from Yardley to Fairless Hills, a seemingly insurmountable distance to us, where we met two (names not to be revealed) classmates of the opposite gender and proceeded to a secluded, purportedly romantic location, the apparently empty Little League baseball dugout, for some very tentative adolescent smooching. Not long afterward the two girls each abruptly "broke-up" with me and Andy, to our deeply wounded teenaged dismay.

In 9th grade, I remember the inauguration of Charles H. Boehm JR H.S., within a wing of Pennsbury High. There was an equivalent JR H.S., I believe "William Penn JR H.S., in Fairless Hills. Now, the girlfriends that had so easily jilted us were totally out of sight an eventually out of mind.

Chuck Haney arrived as a history teacher and our football coach. He came from the hill country of PA, had played football at Juniata College, and was an all around great guy. Mrs. Buckalew (my homeroom and science teacher) was very competent, another good teacher, and furthermore, she had come up with the words to the school song ("Pennsbury High, our alma mater..." but, I think the melody was lifted from Cornell University) these were some of the people we liked and respected. I also remember sort of envying the upperclassmen that had cool "wheels". Guys like Bill Wertz & a guy named (Ed?) Strickler, both who drove customized cars, perhaps a Chevy and Mercury, respectively, that was a big deal.

10th & 11th grades. Driving changed everything. We learned about the "Hi-Hat" Diner and the Pizza places (usually in New Jersey). Many guys had crushes on the few young ladies who would eventually be selected as the Queens of PHS "Sports Nights".

Mr. Poff enlightening us on biological concepts; Mr. Krespach animatedly making Geometry interesting to us sleepy-eyed dullards; memorizing Physics concepts for the thunderous Mr. Kundra, hoping he wouldn't call on us. Dorothy Rathmell was always prepared; cool and uninitiated by Kundra. I admired that. He couldn't and wouldn't embarrass her.

Looking up to upper-class sports heroes like Tommy Broadwater, Vernon Von Sydow, Jim Lovett; and watching Pennsbury successes in sports. Incredible pep rallies before big games. Heartbreaking and very seriously taken football losses to schools like Bristol and Neshaminy.

Our SR year. Trying not to blow up something in Mr. Schaub's Chemistry class. Senior Prom and a follow-up excursion to Cherry Hill, New Jersey. Having great buddies on the football team, despite a 4-6 (or so) record. As a senior, some good parties at our house - believe it or not, for the most part without alcohol. Classmates returning the next day to help clean up. Great camaraderie.

Our school lunches were OK-I remember the vending machine with bright red apples, ahead of the times with a "healthy" option.

During non-school time we would "Study" in the evenings, it was virtually unheard of (at least for me and my brother) to venture out on weeknights. The "Canteen" dances at school on Saturday Nights; Sand-lot sports on weekends and ice hockey on the Delaware Canal in winter.

I have stayed in contact only with Dick and Monica Baker of Columbia, Maryland. My hobbies are carpentry; interest in historic architecture.

I completed a career in construction management; currently working on a small building project.


Ann Raggi Gipson

487 Waters Road, York, PA 17403

My husband's name is John and we met at a friend's Halloween party. We have 3 children. Nicole (32 yrs.). She is married and has 2 boys. She lives in Ohio. She was a book editor prior to the birth of her children. She free lances for her locale newspaper and is basically a stay at home Mom like her own mom was. She is a graduate of PSU Honors College. My next 2 are my twin sons. Zachary and Gregory (30 yrs old on 11/1). Zack is a Harvard grad, and he is a vice president for Putnam Investments in Boston. He is to be married next spring. Greg is a Stanford graduate. He worked for Solomon, Smith, Barney in Tokyo, and last year he and another SSB associate started their own business in Tokyo. Greg will be married in January.

I love being a grandmother. I enjoyed being a mother, and I feel that being a grandmother is my second chance to enjoy little ones (without the work involved). I lived at 14 Newberry Lane, Levittown, while I attended Pennsbury. This began in September, 1953; 7th grade at Oxford Valley Elementary in Fairless Hills.

My favorite classes were French, Latin, and English; least favorite was science! I like Mrs. Carfagno, Mr. Cobb, Mrs. Burg and Mr. Rump.

Soccer & tennis are my favorite sports. I followed Youth League Soccer when my children played, but changed allegiances when they changed sports. I still enjoy watching a good soccer game - any level of play.

My special memories are those of chorus or a cappella choir activities!

I rode the bus throughout my years at Pennsbury. I had the same bus driver for the entire time, Jack Jackman. He was also a policeman. I can remember him letting some of the boys get off the bus near Levittown Shopping Center so they could "cut school". This still amazes me!!! Of course, no one would have reported it because of the possible repercussions!

I usually packed my lunch. Since I was also a teacher, I find it hard to differentiate my memories of PHS lunches and those I ate later as a teacher at different school districts.

I spent my free time talking to my friends, reading, doing homework, babysitting for neighbor children, and various other activities.

I'm happy to say that this reunion has enabled me to reconnect with several former friends. I am looking forward to seeing more friends at the reunions.

WORK STATUS: I returned to teaching when my boys were in middle school. I taught 8th grade French and English until last June when I retired.

TRAVEL: I have been to Europe several times. I love Switzerland, Italy, and France. I have also vacationed in Jamaica, Haiti, Puerto Rico, Canada, and will be going to Mexico this winter for my son's wedding. I am looking forward to visiting Japan in the near future.

HOBBIES: READING, reading, and reading. I am never without a book! I also enjoy cross-stitching, shopping, traveling, and surfing the internet.


CLASSMATES:

I would like to thank you for taking the time to check- out our first newsletter. We hope that you enjoyed it and that you would like to see it continue. To make this possible we need to know YOUR NEWS. Keep us posted on where you are, where you've been and what you're doing for excitement.

If you would like to make a donation towards the printing and postage of the newsletter please feel free to send your contributions to Beth Greenwood. Her address is on Page #1.

Thanks you,

Carol

Falcon photo compliments of:

Kevin Loughlin, Adventure Camera

Watermark and template compliments of

Jane Kirkland, Take A Walk Books,

www.takeawalk.com

Layout designs & printing, Carol Fitzgerald
































































Carol L. Fitzgerald

206 Curtis Court

Wayne, PA 19087-1237














No comments:

Post a Comment